Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Busy, Busy, Busy

Okay, so I'm now two weeks behind in those "weekly" reports, but the truth is that we just got so busy with RobotBoy's Nutcracker performances (12 shows in 10 days) and so distracted by having Moonheart home and so wrapped up in various holiday events that we just didn't get a lot of school done in the last couple of weeks. Just so I don't feel like I completely dropped the ball, here's a quick rundown of how things have gone since my last post.

December 10 - 16: RobotBoy squeezed in four math lessons, reading a few chapters of Alice Rose and Sam, a little bit of Latin and Spanish, some science reading, watching Beethoven Lives Upstairs, a piano lesson, attending a Christmas-themed show at the Shakespeare Theatre, and one lesson of CHOW in between three Nutcracker rehearsals and four performances, the show's cast party, the end-of-semester party for his Sunday school class, plus a three-hour choir rehearsal and the choir's Christmas concert and reception.

December 17 - 23: This week was supposed to begin our official holiday break. However, because we took a week off from math last month that I did not plan for, RobotBoy had to keep working in his online class. So, he did another three math lessons and made corrections to a couple of lessons he had submitted the previous week. He spent Wednesday afternoon at the final session of his science center physics class. At the last minute, he was asked to come be in the series of three abbreviated Nutcracker they do for school groups. He then had regular shows on Thursday and throughout the weekend.

I honestly believed that he would be thoroughly sick of The Nutcracker by the time he finished this run, but it wasn't so. He was very disappointed to see it end, and even the prospect of Christmas, itself, didn't seem to help all that much.

On Christmas Eve, we headed out to church. Moonheart had volunteered to sing in the children's pageant and then was invited to sing for the later, grown-up service, too. We had decided RobotBoy would not participate in the pageant this year, because of the Nutcracker schedule, but he got recruited to sing a short solo, too. The pageant was the usual rocky experience: Right up to the very last minute, we're all sure it's going to crash and burn, but, somehow, it all comes together. Of course, my favorite moments were the ones involving my kids, but it's possible I'm not exactly an impartial observer.

I thought folks might like to hear a little sample of Moonheart's performance. I think I've finally figured out how to get the video to show up here. Cross your fingers!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Oh, beautiful voice! I saw your weekly report link on WTM, we also live in Florida. I went back a couple pages to see if I could find a hint to approx. where you live and found your daughter singing. Beautiful!

Great WEekly report too. :)

Have a great weekend.