Sunday, September 16, 2007

“The cat ate my homework!”

You may remember that I mentioned RobotBoy spent part of Wednesday making a model of a DNA strand for his science center class? Well, he was so proud of having done it by himself, and he did a good job. He used those colored foam packing peanut things that stick together when you get them wet, with pipe cleaners holding it all together and had made a little key to show which colors represented which bases. He walked away and left it on the dining table, where it sat until sometime Friday night.

We have two cats in the house, including one not quite a year old who is still very playful. On Saturday morning, I discovered the disaster: the cat had gotten hold of his model and chewed significant portions of it to bits.

RobotBoy took it well, and decided to spend part of Saturday making a replacement to take to class on Wednesday. This time, he decided he wanted it to be more flexible, so that he could make it twist better. So, he skipped the foam parts and made his base pairs with pipe cleaners, instead. I think it turned out pretty well!

2 comments:

LH said...

looks great!
I think i'll come back and show my son that pic. I'm sure he will want to make one

my5wolfcubs said...

That turned out really nice! Sometimes cats (and small brothers) are just too curious for their own good!
Lee